2021 Student Scholarship Essay Contest
For all students in Grades 6th-12th
DEADLINE: February 18, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Humanizing, Hope and Healing
Please write a personal essay (500 words or fewer) in response to the following prompt:
As we reflect on the year 2020–a year that included a global pandemic, numerous natural disasters, racial inequity and civil unrest–what do you see or what can you do that might lead to hope and healing in your community, our state, our nation or the world?
The additional questions below may be helpful in preparing your essay:
- What examples of hope and healing have you seen during the last few months?
- What is the relationship between hope and healing?
- How does humanization impact hope and healing impact?
- How can you influence hope and healing in your community?
- What barriers stand in the way of humanizing, hope and healing? What can you do to remove those barriers?
- Essays must be no more than 500 words in length
- Essays should be double spaced
- Times New Roman or Arial fonts are preferred.
- Essays may be written in the language of your choice
- Essays must be submitted by filling out this form by Thursday February 18, 2021.
- If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Essays will be scored on a point scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest) on how well the essay addresses the following criteria:
- Theme/Essay prompt
- Does the personal essay provide a clear description/discussion related to the conference theme and essay prompt question(s)?
- Is the personal essay double-spaced and no longer than 500 words?
- Are all the questions on the form filled out?
Personal Essay Winners will be notified by February 24th. Notification will also be sent to the school principal and parent/guardian listed on the entry form.
Award/Recognition Personal Essay Winners will receive a modest cash scholarship and be honored at the 2021 Utah NAME Virtual Conference on Thursday March 4, 2021
- $100 Scholarship awarded to Middle/Jr. High Winners
- $500 Scholarship awarded to High School Winners
Sponsored by The Utah Chapter of the National Association for Multicultural Education www.utahname.org.
Top essay writers will receive a modest scholarship and have the opportunity to share their work at the 2020 Utah NAME conference.
2015 High School
Shams Al-shawbak, East High School
Javiera Carrasco, Cottonwood High School
Sara Ortiz, Logan High School
2015 Middle School
Leba Kepu, Matheson Junior High School
Dulce Rabadan, Matheson Junior High School
2013 High School
José Alexander Garcia, West High School
Shauntee Noble-Lunger, Cottonwood High School
Marisol Perez-Gonzalez, Cottonwood High School
Juniper Roman, Grand County High School
2013 Middle School
Aruna Dhungel, Granite Park Junior High School
Musa Taha, Granite Park Junior High School